In this article, we will give information about how to make a Sponge Cake Recipe. So read this article till the end to know about the easy Sponge Cake Recipe.
Sponge cake is a light and airy cake that is perfect for any occasion from birthday parties to afternoon tea. This type of cake is made by beating eggs and sugar together until they are pale and fluffy, then adding flour and other ingredients to make a light and delicate batter.
The resulting cake has a fine, tender crumb that’s perfect for soaking up flavor and toppings. Sponge cake is often used as a base for layer cakes, trifles, and other desserts. With a few simple ingredients and a little patience, you can make a delicious sponge cake that will impress your friends and family.
What is Sponge Cake?
Sponge cake is a delicate, spongy cake with a uniform crumb made from eggs, sugar and flour as the main ingredients. Very well absorbs moisture from cake cream, which makes it suitable for any type of cake or roll. See below the post for different types of cakes to make with this indulgent cake.
How to Make a Simple Sponge Cake:
- 1 cup cake flour
- ⅞ cup white sugar – divided
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar – (optional)
- 6 eggs – whites and yolks separated
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar (if using) until foamy. Next, add ⅓ of the amount of sugar and beat on high until firm peaks form. When lifting the whisk, look to see the tip is slightly down. Cancel.
- ⅞ cup white sugar, 6 eggs, ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
Egg yolk mixture
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, remaining ⅔ sugar, salt, water, honey, and vanilla. Whisk on high heat till light yellow ribbons form when lifted with a whisk. The ribbon should last for 3 to 4 seconds. Add half the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and fold gently.
- ⅞ cup white sugar, ¼ tsp salt, 6 eggs, 2 tbsp water, 2 tsp honey, ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Add dry ingredients and oil
- Make batter: Sift flour and baking powder into egg-yolk mixture in three parts, folding gently after each time. Next pour vegetable oil. Tip: To help better incorporate the oil, mix a few spoonfuls of batter with the oil before adding.
- 1 cup cake flour, ½ tsp baking powder, ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Whisk remaining ½ egg white into batter and fold gently until well combined, taking care not to separate batter.
- Line two 6-inch cake pans with sides and bottom with parchment paper. Pour the batter and bang the pan twice to remove large air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the crust is golden brown with a raised center, about 27 to 30 minutes. See Notes section for additional baking times.
- Remove all parchment paper and let cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing. Use a cake leveler for even slices. Serve with whipped cream and fruit or make a layered cake. enjoy!
- The amount of ingredients listed is enough to make one 12″x 18″ sponge cake for one cake roll.
- Simply line a 12″x 18″ rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then use a small amount of sponge cake batter under the 4 corners of the parchment paper to keep it in place.
- Uniform the batter over the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Calories: 195 k cal
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 123 mg
- Sodium: 121 mg
- Potassium: 119 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 23 g
- Vitamin A: 179 I U
- Vitamin C: 1 mg
- Calcium: 32 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
That’s it! This classic sponge cake recipe is simple yet delicious. You can serve it on its own or dress it up with your favorite toppings, such as whipped cream and fresh berries. Enjoy!
Also Read More Recipe: sex-on-the-beach-recipe