In this article, we will give information about how to make a white sauce recipe. So read this article till the end to know about the easy white sauce recipe.
White sauce, also known as béchamel sauce, is a classic French sauce that is used in many dishes as a base or to add flavor and creaminess.
It’s a simple sauce made with just a few basic ingredients, including butter, flour, milk, and salt, but it can be customized by adding various herbs, spices, or cheeses to enhance its flavor.
White sauce is commonly used in lasagna, macaroni and cheese, and other pasta dishes, but it can also be used in soups, casseroles, and other dishes to add richness and creaminess.
In this recipe, I will show you how to make a basic white sauce that can be used in many different dishes.
What is white sauce?
White sauce, also known as béchamel sauce, is a classic French sauce made from butter, flour, and milk. It is a creamy and smooth sauce that can be used as a base for many dishes or as a condiment.
The sauce is typically made by melting butter in a saucepan, adding flour to make a roux, and then gradually adding milk while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
The sauce is then seasoned with salt and other ingredients such as nutmeg, garlic, or herbs to enhance its flavor. White sauce is used in a variety of dishes including lasagna, macaroni and cheese, soups, casseroles, and more.
It’s a versatile sauce that can be customized by adding different ingredients to suit your taste preferences.
How to Make White Sauce
Here’s a summary of a basic white sauce recipe:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for about 1-2 minutes, until the mixture turns a light brown color.
- Gradually add the milk while whisking continuously to avoid lumps.
- Keep stirring the mixture over medium heat until it thickens and begins to simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to stir for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thickened and reached a smooth consistency.
- Remove the sauce from heat and add salt to taste.
- The white sauce is now ready to be used in your favorite dish.
That’s it! This basic white sauce recipe is quick and easy to make and can be used as a base for a variety of dishes. You can also customize the recipe by adding different herbs, spices, or cheeses to suit your taste preferences.
Here are some additional notes and tips to keep in mind when making white sauce:
- Use a whisk to stir the mixture continuously to avoid lumps.
- The sauce should be stirred over medium heat until it thickens and begins to simmer, then reduce the heat to low and continue stirring until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little more milk to thin it out.
- If the sauce is too thin, you can add a little more flour to thicken it.
- You can customize the recipe by adding different herbs, spices, or cheeses to enhance the flavor. For example, you could add chopped parsley, garlic, or grated Parmesan cheese to the sauce.
- White sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Simply reheat the sauce in a saucepan over low heat and stir until it reaches a smooth consistency again.
- If you want a richer sauce, you can use heavy cream instead of milk.
- White sauce can also be made using alternative milks such as almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk for a vegan or lactose-free option.
Here’s the approximate nutrition information for a serving of basic white sauce (about 1/4 cup or 60 ml):
- Calories: 90
- Total fat: 6 g
- Saturated fat: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- Sodium: 135 mg
- Total carbohydrates: 6 g
- Dietary fiber: 0 g
- Sugars: 4 g
- Protein: 2 g
Please note that these values are estimates and may vary depending on the specific ingredients used and the serving size. Also, keep in mind that adding additional ingredients such as herbs, spices, or cheese to the white sauce will affect the nutrition information.
Also Read More Recipe: indian-tofu-stir-fry-recipe